YOU ARE A GENIUS, LET THE EMPLOYER KNOW IT.
Let your personality be seen and impress recruiter.
As we anticipate the job market to open and businesses to start hiring again, it might be useful to review your CV and have a well-made video cover letter.
You might wonder if a video cover letter is suitable for every type of job, video, we anticipate the need will only increase once businesses resume operations. In all circumstances it's important to make your CV stand out and one way is by submitting your CV in video format.
What is a video cover letter?
A video CV/Cover letter is a short visual recording used by a candidate to apply for a job. It does not replace the traditional CVs; a video CV is used to supplement and give additional weight to your application.
The purpose is to highlight a candidate's skills and experience while giving employers an insight into your personality.
Video CVs are usually between one and two minutes long. It's important to grab a recruiter's attention while keeping the running time of the video to a minimum.
How can you make a video cover letter?
From a technology stand point all you need to do is open the i12WRK application, go to your profile page and either record or upload the video.
To start, it might help
- To write down what you'd like to say, to attempt to film the video without a script -this can lead to, you forgetting important points or waffling to fill the time.
- Plan the location of your video to ensure that you have a quiet, well-lit space to film in.
- You'll also need to consider the backdrop of your recording. It should be clear and free from clutter.
- Appearance also matters. Plan your outfit in advance, making sure to dress as you would for an interview. This could mean a suit or business casual – you need to decide.
- Have fun with your video CV and enjoy making it, think about what you want to say beforehand and have an idea of what you want the video to look like.
- Don't hesitate to start recording, you'll only get better with practice.
- You always the option to delete and record again.
Your success in the job market is very dependent on how your skills, experience, passion is interpreted by the business/recruiter :
- Stand out from the crowd - While video CVs and your personality will help you'll immediately stand out as someone prepared to go the extra mile.
- Showcase your creativity - Instead of following a traditional CV template you'll do your own thing.
- Display your personality - It's hard to convey your personality in a written CV or cover letter. Video enables you to make a memorable impact.
- Demonstrate particular skills - By creating a video you can physically demonstrate skills such as public speaking, communication and IT/digital ability. You can also share portfolio work.
What to include?
Start by introducing yourself, explaining why you've created the video and why you're the right person for the job.
Talk about your unique selling points, other relevant skills and experience.
At the end of your video summaries what you have told the employer and reiterate why you're right for the role. Thank them for watching the video
The most important thing to demonstrate in a video CV is your passion and capability.
All the best